Everyday Mom's Meals: Fruit In The Frost
_____

Monday, January 2, 2012

Fruit In The Frost

Let's face it, fresh fruit in the winter isn't something that is "ooohhhh and aahhhed" about the way it is in the summer. The bountiful harvest summer brings us truly is one of the things we enjoy most about warmer weather. But winter does have it's stars too, they are just mostly imported :) When I was planning our Christmas Eve celebration I wanted one more side dish, and immediately thought salad. But we were already have a salad, plus a veggie tray, so something different I sought. I decided to look through my newest favorite cookbook, Gooseberry Patch's Quick and Easy Christmas. And while I would have never thought to look in the Breakfast/Brunch section for an idea for supper, that is indeed where I found this, so perfect! Yes, we had it along side our barbecue rib dinner, and it was something light and refreshing on a table full of heavier indulgences. But I understand why it was filed under the category it was, b/c it would be sensational with eggs, pancakes, omelets....all the brunch staples. Using a mixture of canned and fresh fruits, it really gives you a sense of that summer freshness, all while you admire the snowdrifts in your backyard!!

Winter Fruit Salad from Gooseberry Patch originally contributed by Nancy from A Recipe A Day
3-4 red and green apples, chopped
2-3 bananas, sliced
1 small can mandarin oranges
1 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits, drained--save 3/4 c. juice
1/3 c. orange juice
1 TBS lemon juice
1/2 c. sugar
2 TBS cornstarch

In a small sauce pan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add orange, pineapple and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbling. Cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and set aside. In a large bowl, combine apples, bananas, oranges and pineapple. Add sauce and stir to coat. Chill until serving.


Shared on Chef in Training Jan. 3, 2012
Shared on Naptime Creations Jan. 3, 2012
Shared on Sweetology Jan. 3, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind the Curtain Jan. 4, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 5, 2012

Salad at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

5 comments:

Nancy @ A Recipe A Day said...

I contributed this recipe to Gooseberry Patch and it's one of our favorites and has been for many years. It's very easy to add or subtract fruits, too. Your photo is great and thanks for posting!

Krista said...

Wow, Nancy! Thanks for commenting. Truth be told, I was so excited when I found the recipe and was in a planning craze, I didn't even pay attention to the name :) I will add your credit to the post, and thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love fruit salads. They are nice any time of the year, depending on the fruit as well. This one looks good. Thanks for sharing. Pat

annies home said...

fruit salads are always hit at our house this one looks like it will be as well come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
I just love a winter fruit salad and your recipe looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen