Everyday Mom's Meals: Shortcake In The Snow
_____

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Shortcake In The Snow

If you have been a longtime fan of this blog, you probably remember my post last summer about Strawberry Shortcake.(If you are a new follower, that link will take you right over!) Alex and I picked berries, I made my mom's old fashioned shortcake...that was a GREAT day! Well, now it's the middle of winter, Christmas is over, my birthday isn't until the end of February, and I'm feeling the "oh yum" of the season. I don't know about you, but I always get depressed after Christmas and New Year's and really don't come out of it until spring. (Well, except for my birthday week---yes, in our family you get a whole week!) So I find myself looking back on all the great food we ate last spring and summer and longing to have it again. Leave it to my mom to find something to lift my foodie spirits and allow me to enjoy some of those warm weather flavors while there is snow on the ground. (Okay, that's a lie b/c we've been having an unusually warm winter in Indiana this year, but bare w/ me)  She found this recipe in The New Sentinel, our local newspaper, and I couldn't wait to try it. I decided it was perfect for our New Year's Eve celebration b/c after all the junk food, something sweet was just what we needed :) If you are feeling a little down b/c the calendar is still on the first page and winter isn't going away any time soon, maybe this can make you smile too!

Strawberry Shortcake Bars
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. strawberry jam

Icing:
1 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 TBS milk

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 8x8 baking pan w/ foil, w/ extra over the edges, and spray w/ cooking spray w/ flour. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and butter. Add eggs, one at a time. Add salt, vanilla and stir to combine. Stir in flour and baking soda until well mixed. Spread into pan. Spoon jam over dough. Drag a knife through dough and jam, swirling jam into dough. Bake 25 minutes or until golden and toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan. To make icing, in a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Drizzle icing on cooled bars. Let icing set up. Remove from pan using foil and cut into bars.

~Join me for Tasty Tuesday on Formula Mom~

Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Jan. 10, 2012
Shared on Chef in Training Jan. 10, 2012 
Shared on Naptime Creations Jan. 10, 2012 
Shared on This Chick Cooks Jan. 11, 2012 
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Jan. 11, 2012 
Shared on Something Swanky Jan. 12, 2012 
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 12, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook Jan. 13, 2012
Desserts at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

3 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa's Dinnertime Dish said...

This sounds delicious! A great sweet treat!!

CEK said...

Looks great Krista!

Miz Helen said...

Krista,
These are awesome looking bars that we would just love. Thank you so much for sharing with our 1st Anniversary Party at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
Miz Helen