Everyday Mom's Meals: Soup 2.0
_____

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Soup 2.0

This is yet another recipe that if you would have bet me money was already on the blog, I would have taken that bet......and LOST! I was sure I had posted this as one of the first recipes I ever shared w/ the world, but in looking back over the archives, it isn't here. I'm convinced late at night while I'm asleep Alex gets on my computer, attempts to blog and accidentally erases old posts :) However it happened, it's officially MIA, so I'm sharing it again today, but revised just a tad. So I guess it's a good thing after all, b/c it gave me a chance to play around w/ the recipe and make it even better! This is a soup I've been making since Adam and I were newlyweds, and one that family and friends have said they love too. It's got that one little ingredient that not only makes people say "Hmmmm, what is that?" That same addition also brightens up the flavor and makes it different from your everyday chicken soup. This is a great one to keep in the fridge and eat for days b/c it only gets better w/ time. I like making a big pot of it for the 3 of us for dinner, and then having it for lunch for the next several days, b/c it's not one that loses anything in the reheating process. For those of you in the working world, and packing your lunch each day, if you have access to a microwave, it's wonderful for that too. And I speak from experience b/c when we were first married and I was still working 40 hours a week, that's exactly what I did. Now if I'm not crazy and this was blogged at one point, for those who've read it, you'll notice the changes I've made. If I am nuts, or if you are reading it for the first time, it's a great recipe that I hope you enjoy!

Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup
1 package boneless chicken tenders
12 oz. egg noodles
3 medium carrots, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
3/4 c. frozen peas
2 boxes chicken broth
1 c. water
1 TBS dried basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 TBS olive oil, plus extra for chicken
1 TBS butter
1 lemon, juiced

To prepare chicken, place on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle w/ olive oil and season w/ salt and pepper. Roast in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes until browned and cooked through. Let cool. Shred or cut into bite size pieces.

In a large pot, saute' veggies in 2 TBS oil and 1 TBS butter until tender. Add cooked chicken and cook until warmed through. Add stock, water and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes. Add egg noodles and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. As the noodles cook, they will absorb the broth. Just add water if this happens too much. (Or have some extra broth on hand.) Right before serving, add lemon juice and peas and stir to combine well.
*NOTE* This is a great soup to do in 2 parts. I start the soup and cook until simmering for 15 minutes. Then I turn off the heat, cover and let sit at room temperature. When it's time for supper, I continue on w/ cooking the noodles, and dinner is ready in about 15 minutes. When reheating this soup, extra water is almost always needed due to the absorption of broth.



Shared on Lady Behind the Curtain Jan. 4, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Jan. 5, 2012
Shared on Gooseberry Patch Feb. 22, 2012




3 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Delicious... Does make me wonder, do you ever reprint a recipe you have posted before. i rarely make the same thing in the exact same way twice, so I can justify re postings (in my mind at least).

The soup looks delicious, filling and cost effective. Turned cold last night and a nice hot bowl of this sounds wonderful!

Dave

carolinaheartstrings said...

My mouth is watering just looking at the picture. My daughter would love this recipe. Great job!

Miz Helen said...

I love the addition of the Lemon Juice in your Chicken Noodle Soup, I will have to give that a try. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen