Everyday Mom's Meals: Winter Barbecue
_____

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Winter Barbecue

For us, the first snowfall means many things. But one thing it doesn't signal is the end of grilling season. Yes, we are those people who use our outdoor grill year round. My husband was the guy last year during the blizzard (seriously, I'm not joking, there was an actual blizzard warning) in boots and a parka grilling steaks for supper. And sure, there were neighbors looking at him like he was insane but there were more of them standing outside wondering where the intoxicating smell of meat over an open flame was coming from. However, you notice I said Adam was in the snow and wind.....not me. That's right the "we" in we use our grill year round truly adds up to Adam. I plan meals around the fact he will be home to venture out in the cold to due his manly duty! But of course there are nights when either work, or in this case Taekwondo, forces your everyday mom to suck it up, put on the ear muffs and fire up that grill. NOT!!! If Adam isn't here, I find alternatives to making our favorite outdoor treats, inside in the warmth and coziness of my kitchen. (Yes, I'm a wimp. I hate the cold. I hate snow. I don't want to be out in it. I'm a big enough person to admit this.) So the night I wanted barbecue chicken, I had to decide what method I was going to use to give it that "outdoor" feel. I helped this along by using the same dry rub we do on our ribs that start out in the oven and then make their way to the grill. This time of course though, the entire stay would be in the oven. This is a spice mix we buy from a local distributor, but my guess to its ingredients would be: chili powder, paprika, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, brown sugar--and probably other things I'm missing, but it gives you an idea. I've explained before my love for roasting chicken in the oven for "cooked chicken" recipes, but it works just as well for this. If you wish you stand outside in the cold to grill....say hi to my husband! Me? I'll be inside, warm by the stove.....watching him from a window.

Roasted Barbecue Chicken
4 boneless chicken breasts
Barbecue Spice Rub
Olive Oil
Jack Daniels Barbecue Sauce, or your favorite

Preheat oven to 400. Drizzle chicken w/ olive oil and season liberally w/ season mix on both sides. Line a baking sheet w/ foil and lightly spray w/ cooking spray. Roast chicken breasts for 25 minutes. Remove and baste w/ barbecue sauce. Cook for 10 minutes more, or until juices run clear. Baste w/ sauce once more before serving.


Chicken at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

2 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa's Dinnertime Dish said...

This sounds fantastic! We are like you and grill all year, and also like you in that it is my husband, not me that does the winter grilling! So this would be perfect on those nights when dinner is all up to me. :)

Anonymous said...

That is a very good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
Brief but very precise information… Thanks for sharing this one.
A must read article!
my site: Posted by My Industrial Injury Claims.com