Everyday Mom's Meals: Calling All Black Beans
_____

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Calling All Black Beans

I was just telling someone the other day that I love black beans, but don't have nearly enough recipes using them. So, I am always on the lookout for new ones to try. I will be honest, I don't think I ever had a black bean until I was 30 years old!!! It's very sad I waited so long b/c I love them! They are so flavorful, add great protein to any meal, and are a great friend to rice. In fact, most of the black bean recipes I have include rice. Yesterday I shared a new chicken enchilada recipe that I made while wanting Mexican food after being sick. Obviously when you are craving something as badly as I was Mexican, you can't just stop at the main dish. It was crucial to have a side dish alongside that would help to satisfy that craving also. Enter my new favorite bean. I found this at Campbells.com after searching for new ways to incorporate black beans into my menu. Yes, this is actually a rice dish (See what I mean? They kind of go hand in hand.) but when I think of side dishes to enchiladas, nothing seems more perfect! Do you love black beans too? Do you have some recipes that use them? Please feel free to share them~ all of them!!

Fiesta Rice Adapted from Campbell's

1 (16 oz) jar picante sauce
2 c. instant brown rice
1/2 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. frozen corn, thawed
1/2 c. black beans

In a medium pot, bring picante sauce and water to a boil. Add rice, beans, corn and stir well. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Remove lid, add chicken broth and lower heat to low. Continue to cook, stirring often, until rice is tender and liquid as evaporated, about 7 minutes.


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain May 2, 2012
Shared on Newlyweds Blog May 2, 2012 
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage May 3, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook May 4, 2012 
Shared on Gooseberry Patch May 16, 2012


Pin It

4 comments:

Amanda - TooTallFritz said...

I saw this on my phone yesterday and wanted to stop by and comment. I consider black beans to be a "super" food and use them in so many different things! I manage to work them into something weekly, and usually have a container in the fridge to add to fast meal ticket items like salads & wraps.

I add black beans to most soups: chili, tortilla, veggie, minestrone, etc. I stir them into scrambled egg whites with salsa for a flavorful twist. I mix any taco meat (lean ground beef or chicken) with veggies and black beans to incease the protein/fiber. You can mash them, add stir in green chiles and add a few sprinkles of cheese for a side dish. But of course, my biggest use for them is adding them onto my salads and putting them in my chicken wraps. Super flavorful and a good additive without adding a lot of calories or unwanted fats. Keep trying with the black beans, they are an awesome! :o)

The Better Baker said...

This looks so tasty - I love these flavor combinations! So happy to see you linked up at Weekend Potluck...please come again soon. You always have terrific recipes!

Anonymous said...

Hello :) A friend recently called my attention to your site. I have a deep love of cooking, sharing recipes and trying new things so I was intrigued. I read this and it immediately called to mind a recipe I have made for my family. It has really good flavor and just the right amount of heat. I am a bit confused over the corn tortillas as they seem to dissolve into everything else so maybe you can suggest an alternative. I tried flour ones but they become soggy and in my opinion unappealing.

Beef and Bean Tortilla Bake
1 LB ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbs dry fajita seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes w green chiles
1 8 oz bottle mild taco sauce
2 cans black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can Mexicorn, drained
6 corn tortillas, torn into large pieces
2 Cups shredded sharp Cheddar

Preheat oven to 350. Coat 2 qt baking dish with cooking spray. Brown ground beef, onion, fajita seasoning and garlic in nonstick skillet.
Add tomatoes with juice, taco sauce & 1/2 cup water, bring to boil.
Stir in beans and Mexicorn. Remove from heat.
Spread 2 cups beef mixture in baking dish. Arrange 1/2 of the tortilla pieces over the beef. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Spread 1/2 of the remaining beef mixture over cheese, top with remaining tortillas and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
Top with remaining beef, cover with remaining cheese and bake until bubbly, about 30 mins.

Krista said...

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your recipe! That sounds really good! I understand what you're saying about the tortillas. I've done similar recipes w/ them and I too think they end up too mushy. Maybe you could use corn chips, tortilla chips or even Doritos instead! Just some ideas. Thanks again for your kind comments and coming to my little corner of the world.