Everyday Mom's Meals: Dying To Try
_____

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dying To Try

For quite a while now I've been wanting to try lentils, but didn't know in what capacity. I've seen them used in so many different recipes in so many different ways I just couldn't narrow it down. And when I cook with an ingredient for the first time I really try to make sure it is just the right recipe so we give the "newbie" a completely fair chance to be liked. Enter my friend and her soup recipe. She had posted on Facebook that this was a new recipe for her too, and her entire family, including small sons enjoyed it. I don't think you can get a better review than that! Plus, it was done completely in the Crock-Pot which always scores bonus points with me. And it was a soup, with "regular" soup players such as onion, carrot, celery, garlic~ all a good basis for helping a new ingredient shine, but still be familiar. Lastly, it contained sausage. Enough said. Pork fat makes everything better!! This reminded me a lot of my Split Pea Soup, but with different flavors and textures. But I tell you this b/c if you've tried that recipe and love it, than I'm going to guess you'll enjoy this as much as we did.  I'm so glad I waited for just the right recipe to introduce lentils into our food family. If there is something you've been wanting to try, but need a great recipe, ask your friends! They just might have one you've been looking for the whole time, and didn't even know it!

Lentil Sausage Soup
1 (16oz) package dry lentils, rinsed and drained (DO NOT SOAK)
2 lbs. kielbasa, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 (14.5oz) cans beef broth
3 c. water
Salt and Pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese for garnish

Combine all ingredients except cheese in Crock-Pot. Stir well to combine. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6-7. Stir before serving. Garnish individual portions w/ Parmesan.


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain May 23, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage May 24, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook May 25, 2012
Soup at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

2 comments:

Jackie @Syrup and Biscuits said...

I'm so glad you got to try lentils. I certainly didn't grow up eating lentils but I've come to love them. Nice recipe!

Anonymous said...

I use basically this recipe. The only difference is I use a quart of our home canned tomatoes and do not drain, a can of V-8 juice and 1/2 tsp chili powder and do not use the broth. We truly love this, especially with fried cornbread or lacy cornbread.