Everyday Mom's Meals: Family Burgers
_____

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Family Burgers

When Alex was younger, before school, Taekwondo, and life in general got so crazy busy, we used to spend one entire day per week with each set of grandparents. Tuesdays or Wednesdays were reserved for my in-laws, and Fridays we were with my parents. This tradition went on for a few years, and looking back, I'm so glad we had the chance to do so because now that he is older, and we don't get to see the grandparents as often as we used to, we know just how blessed we were to be able to have that time together. On the days we were with Adam's parents, his mom, Alex and I would go out to lunch, do some shopping and then head back to their house for the afternoon. Then when Adam got off work, he would join us for supper along with his dad and we would spend the evenings hanging out. Well, when "Mimi" had the chance to either play with her only grandchild (at the time) or cook supper, I think you can guess which she preferred! So I would volunteer to make whatever she had planned so she could spend as much time with Alex as possible. And it was great for me too because I got to spend time in the kitchen doing something I enjoy while my child was entertained and not needing my attention every 5 minutes. In the summer months, one of the things she would plan a lot on those nights were burgers, but not just any burgers. Ones she had been making for years that the entire family loved. So when it was my job to make them I wanted to do them justice, but add a "little of me" to them too! Thank goodness everyone loved them! They were a huge hit and became an almost weekly tradition. They were easy for her to plan, easy for me to make and the guys enjoyed them. One of the great things about them are the can be served on a bun, but are flavorful enough to go "bunless" too! If you love trying different varieties of burgers, make these family ones the next on your list!

Barbecue Burgers
Makes 4 burgers
2 lbs. ground beef
1/4 c. grated onion
3 garlic cloves, minced or grated
1 TBS grill seasoning
1/2- 3/4 c. barbecue sauce
Hamburger buns, optional
Sliced onion, optional

In a large bowl combine ground beef, onion, garlic, grill seasoning and barbecue sauce. Using your hands mix well until combined. Divide meat into 4 equal portions and form into patties. (I love my burger press for this). Preheat grill to medium. Spray w/ cooking spray. Grill burgers for 5 minutes per side or until your desired doneness.Brush w/ extra barbecue sauce before serving.
*NOTE* If you are wondering why grated onion- it ensures the burger's moistness. Chopped onion does not do the same thing. Grated onion gives off "juice" that adds moisture to the meat. Use a box grater or microplane for best results.



Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain May 30, 2012
Shared on Gooseberry Patch May 30, 2012 
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage May 31, 2012 
Shared on Recipes For My Boys May 31, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook June 1, 2012 
Shared on Make Ahead Meals June 4, 2012 
Shared on Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen June 4, 2012

2 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Terrific tip on the grated onion... next time will give it a try. Thanks for sharing

Dave at eRecipeCards.com

Unknown said...

MMMMM...This looks soooooo good! Pass me one please. Thank you for sharing on Thursday's Treasures Week 36. Love to have you join dear friend! http://www.recipesformyboys.com/2012/05/thursdays-treasures-week-36.html