Everyday Mom's Meals: Favorite Pie Morphed
_____

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Favorite Pie Morphed

Last summer I shared that one of Adam's favorite pies is Key Lime, and every year during our annual 2 week vacation in Florida, we have one in the fridge at all times just waiting for us to indulge. I don't know why, but it always tastes better in the Sunshine State than at home. Well, okay, let's face it, all food tastes better when you're eating it in the sunshine, watching the ocean's waves rolling in! Lately I've noticed a new craze in the cooking world, or at least new to me~ Poke Cakes. I'm assuming these have been around for some time now, but for me, they have become one of those ideas I see once and think "oh that looks yummy" and then I start to see them everywhere! All different flavors, all different kinds, from all different people! So it got me to thinking "if I tried one, what flavor would I want the first to be?" And then the idea hit me. Key Lime!!! Take my hubby's favorite Florida pie and turn it into a cake we can enjoy during the spring time while we're still looking forward to that vacation! After a little research, I found exactly what I was looking for and couldn't wait to surprise the boys with it! Absolutely delicious, the perfect lime flavor and super easy to make, this cake is will be something we can enjoy for years to come! Do you make poke cakes? What are your favorite flavors?

Key Lime Poke Cake from Betty Crocker
1 box white cake mix
The oil, water and eggs for cake- Look on Box (Mine took 1/3 c oil, 1/2 c. water and 3 eggs)
1 can whipped white frosting
1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. key lime juice (look for a bottle on the juice aisle)
3 tsp. grated lime peel
4 drops yellow food coloring
1 drop green food coloring
Lime slices for garnish, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 pan w/ cooking spray with flour. Using an electric mixer, prepare cake according to package directions and bake until toothpick comes out clean. (Mine too 30 minutes). In a large bowl combine condensed milk, whipping cream, key lime juice, 1 tsp. grated peel and both food colorings. Stir well until mixture combines and thickens. When cake is finished, allow to cool 5 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, 1/2-inch in diameter, poke holes in cake every inch or so. Wipe off handle often to avoid sticking. Pour milk mixture over cake and spread evenly allowing it to fill holes. Some of the mixture will be left on top of cake. Refrigerate 1 hour. Frost cake using a spatula and sprinkle w/ 2 tsp. grated peel. Store in fridge, loosely covered. Garnish w/ lime slices.


Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage May 3, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook May 4, 2012 
Shared on Around My Family Table May 4, 2012 
Shared on Justa's Kitchen May 5, 2012 
Shared on Make Ahead Meals May 7, 2012 
Shared on  Mandy's Recipe Box May 8, 2012
Shared on Gooseberry Patch May 24, 2012 

Cake at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

7 comments:

Justa said...

This sounds absolutely fantastic! Being a Floridian I LOVE Key Lime anything! Thank you so much for linking this up with me!

The Country Cook said...

Congrats on the Weekend Potluck feature. You know I just loved this cake and it looks like everyone else did too!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

The Better Baker said...

YUMM! I can almost taste this delightful concoction! So excited that this recipe was featured at Weekend Potluck - keep on cookin these yummy and simple dishes.

Juliet said...

Oh, this looks delicious. I definitely want to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing! :0)

Justa said...

Congrats, Krista! This was the most viewed post on Fantastic Foods Friday! I've featured it, have another party started and now will feature it on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest! Thanks for coming and I hope to see you again!

Anonymous said...

I made this recently and instead of the whipped white frosting, I used Lite Cool Whip....My family loved it! It is very refreshing!

B. Cook
Georgia

Krista said...

What a great idea! I'll have to remember that :)