Everyday Mom's Meals: Salad For One
_____

Friday, May 4, 2012

Salad For One

One evening last week I was already thinking about lunch the next day, and wondering what I was going to make for myself. Then all of a sudden I realized I was hungry for beets. I'm not sure why, but I became fixated on the thought and knew whatever I was going to come up with, it was going to include beets. I started concocting different things in my mind trying to decide exactly how I would do it. I remembered a salad I made last summer that was beet based and thought I could make that again. And then I figured why not take that recipe, build on it, adapt it, and make something totally new. I went over possibility after possibility in my head and came up w/ a list of ingredients I wanted to include. Being the good husband he is, Adam took the list I needed and headed to Walmart. A short time later he was back w/ everything I asked for and I just needed to wait about 12 hours to see if it would all come together the way I envisioned. The next day at lunch time I couldn't wait to try my new idea and even more, taste it! Well, the jury was in~ it was DELISH! The flavors I came up with complimented each other, and truly let the beets shine!  Sometimes great ideas really do become reality and even better, become a great lunch!

Spring Beet Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Makes 1 plate sized salad

1 1/2 c. spring lettuce mix
3/4 c. canned sliced beets, chopped (non pickled)
2 TBS blue cheese crumbles
2 TBS chopped walnuts
1/3 c. canellini beans, drained and rinsed

Dressing:
1/4 c. olive oil
1 1/2 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. dried basil

On a large plate place lettuce. Sprinkle w/ beets, beans, cheese crumbles and walnuts.  In a medium bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients until well combined. You can also place in a jar and shake well. Drizzle over salad and let sit 5 minutes before serving.

  
Shared on The Country Cook May 4, 2012
Shared on Around My Family Table May 4, 2012 
Shared on Justa's Kitchen May 5, 2012 
Shared on Make Ahead Meals May 7, 2012 
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box May 8, 2012 
Salad at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

3 comments:

Justa said...

I saw this linked on Around My Family Table. This looks so good for summertime! We would love this! Would you please share this on my new blog and linky party (I had to create one outside of WordPress because they don't allow the link-ups)at http://justa-frugalfoodie.blogspot.com/2012/05/welcome-back-to-fantastic-foods-friday.html I've been coming to your parties the last few weeks and would love for you visit mine as well! Hope your weekend is going well and see you tomorrow at Church Supper. :)

Justa said...

Thank you so much for linking this! I'm looking forward to trying it!

annies home said...

this being salad weather and time to look our best loved that you shared this recipe a bit new to me come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com