Everyday Mom's Meals: A Husband's Request
_____

Friday, June 28, 2013

A Husband's Request

Okay people, you have less then 1 week until the next major "let's have a huge cookout" holiday is upon us. And in case you are looking for new, or at least a new varieties of, side dishes, I've got a great one for you today!

This recipe all started with a conversation between Mr. Everyday and I. I asked if he was hungry for something specific. He answered with "Amish Potato Salad"....like _____ brand. Okay, great...the one brand I'd never heard of. Well, here to find out back in the day when he used to work as a butcher at the deli counter of the local IGA grocery store, this was a brand they sold and he loved it. I asked him what all was in it, and with the exception of the veggies, it sounded a lot like my Grammy's recipe. 

See, my Grammy's potato salad is my favorite of all time; and the unique thing about hers (which I have never made myself, by the way) is it has a cooked dressing. But in all the times she has cooked for us, Adam has only had it one time, and it happened to be on an evening she was in a rush, and it hadn't had time to cool down all the way. Now, to me it was just as tasty, but being warm, he didn't care for it as much. I remember him even saying "The flavor seemed like it would be good, if only it had been chilled." 

So I went looking for a recipe, and when I came across this, it was like the heavens opened up and the angels started singing. It even had the cooked dressing Grammy's is so famous for. I was totally up for the challenge...and I must say, I hit it out of the park! Not only was it so close to my favorite I was licking the bowl, it was exactly what he was looking for too! He said I couldn't have gotten any closer if I had went to the IGA deli and bought it!

Potato salad is one of those things that is kind of a must at any backyard barbecue. So maybe if you're planning one for the holiday next week, this can be a new version you try. Don't let the ingredient list intimidate you, it's very easy, I promise! And it's so creamy and tasty I guarantee your guests will be asking for the recipe, so if their husbands request it, they can be ready too!

Amish Potato Salad
6 medium potatoes, with skin
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped carrots
1 tsp. celery seed
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
3/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. mustard
3 TBS butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. mayo

Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. In a medium saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in vinegar, milk and mustard. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Refrigerate until cool. Once cooled, whisk in mayo.

When potatoes are cool, remove skin if desired. Cut into large cubes. Place potatoes, boiled eggs,  celery, onion and carrots in a large bowl. Sprinkle with celery seed. Pour dressing over and mix gently, but well to combine. Chill at least 2 hours before serving. 







Shared on The Country Cook June 28, 2013

No comments: