Everyday Mom's Meals: All Things Pumpkin
_____

Monday, September 15, 2014

All Things Pumpkin

The minute I flip the calendar from August to September it means all things pumpkin and apple are fair game. I know many people feel they are too used during this time of year, especially since Pinterest came along and it seems there are 1,000 new recipes featuring each every single day.

Well, no fear. I'm not going to inundate you with so many you feel like I'm running an apple orchard or pumpkin patch. But I would not be true to myself if I didn't feature my two autumn flavors in at least a couple dishes.

If I had to choose one, it would probably be pumpkin. (And not just because my nickname is "Punkin".) I was the kid who wanted pumpkin pie in lieu of a birthday cake. True story. And my child has been known to ask his Maa Ma (my mom) for the same thing. She makes a pretty mean pumpkin pie!

These are a simple dessert perfect any night of the week. They would be perfect for tailgating or a bonfire party too! But they are completely yummy and pretty enough if you wanted to serve them come Thanksgiving you totally could.

Fall means all things pumpkin and apple. They are what I crave this time of year (well, those and soup) and when that craving results in something this delicious, it makes me remember one of the few reasons I do enjoy autumn. 

Pumpkin Pecan Parfaits
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
1 (3.4 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding, unprepared
1 (12 oz.) tub Cool Whip
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 c. granola cereal (I used one with pecans)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

In a large bowl combine pumpkin, dry pudding mix, 1 cup whipped topping, and spices. Mix well. Chill for 30 minutes to set. In large parfait glasses, layer pumpkin mix, granola, whipped topping and pecans evenly. Repeat layers, ending with pecans. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Chill until ready to serve. Makes 3 large parfaits or 5-6 small.


1 comment:

Catherine said...

Delicious and perfect for the season. Catherine