Everyday Mom's Meals: Early Winter
_____

Monday, November 24, 2014

Early Winter

After that nasty polar vortex last winter, I kinda hoped Mother Nature would have pity on us and give us an easy one this year. Well, it's not even officially winter yet, and she has rared her ugly head and made her presence known! Yep, a week before Thanksgiving, and our temps plummeted into the single digits with negative wind chills, making for a cold, blustery week. 

Now, I am trying hard not to complain too much because we all watched while Old Man Winter dumped some seventy, yes that's 7-0, inches of snow on Buffalo, burying them in the white stuff, and stranding people on highways for hours. I can't even imagine!

Oh, and I have to give you the other piece of this freezing puzzle. See, our housing addition is currently under major road construction, giving us all new streets. And while it's going to be really nice when they are done (estimated time, next JULY!!) right now, it's a huge pain. We have no driveway, only half a street in and out, and get the privilege of parking at least a block away, sometimes more. I'm not kidding when I say with the cold weather, and this headache, it got to a point when I was just mad every time I had to leave the house. It was a huge hassle, and I would have much rather sat inside, warm and cozy; but life doesn't work that way, and at some point, I had to put on my big girl pants (and coat, gloves, scarf, boots...) and venture out. 

So, what's a girl to do when winter comes early, her toes are frozen and her car is what seems like half a mile away? Make soup of course!! What better way to warm up, comfort the soul and feed my icicles of a family??!! 

This one is gonna become a favorite, kids. You are going to keep coming back to this simple, delicious recipe over and over during the cold months ahead. Creamy, full of veggies, so yummy...it's what winter was made for!

I'm hoping we get a small break until winter officially arrives in December. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm also hoping to actually be able to park in my driveway soon. But again, I'm not holding my breath. Either way, I'm going to eat soup, and try to look at the bright side...spring is only 116 days until Spring! 

Easy Vegetable Chowder From Taste of Home
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 (12 oz.) bag frozen broccoli and cauliflower
1 (12 oz.) bag frozen mixed veggies
3/4 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
4 c. chicken broth
2 c. milk
2 c. half and half
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until soft. Add flour; stir to combine. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened. Stir in milk, cream, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add veggies. Cook gently over a low heat until heated through, about 15 minutes. 




 



Disclaimer: As a Field Editor for Taste of Home, I share this recipe for my own use. I am not a paid employee. 

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Sounds wonderful. Soup is the perfect meal for this cold weather.
Catherine