Everyday Mom's Meals: Kick Up Weekend Brunch
_____

Friday, July 10, 2015

Kick Up Weekend Brunch

Brunch is one of my favorite things. See, I love breakfast foods, but I don't like breakfast. Or, shall I say I don't like breakfast at breakfast time. I've always been that way. Eating early in the morning just doesn't jive with my system. But give me some eggs, bacon and toast at about 10 am, or even noon, or for supper at 6 pm, and I'm a happy girl! 

So you can see why the idea of brunch appeals to me. Some of my favorite dishes, later in the morning when I'm ready for them. And one of my favorite things to order when we go out for brunch is an omelet. There is a diner here in Fort Wayne that serves them 100 different ways, and each one is as big as your head! 

But at home, omelets are a different story. I can't make them in a skillet to save my life. Seriously. I've tried. A lot. That is until I figured out I could easily let my oven do all the work while I take all the glory. Yep, bake 'em! Why not? It's just like a quiche with no crust. You get all the same flavors, but with no hassle of that dreaded skillet flip! 

This one will put a little kick into your brunch this weekend. Amazing Mexican ingredients take your ordinary eggs to the next level. Don't worry about the heat level though. Ya'll know I'm a wimp, so if I can eat it, anyone can. Add some toast and fresh fruit on the side and watch the family flock to the table. Truthfully though, this makes an amazing simple supper too! Who doesn't love breakfast for supper? 

If you love brunch as much as I do, but the menu has gotten a little stale, it's time to kick it up a notch with a little Southwestern flare!

Baked Southwestern Omelet
Originally Published on Indiana Dairy
8 eggs
1 c. milk
¾ c. Mexican blend cheese, plus extra for top
1 TBS dried minced onion
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained well
½ green pepper, diced
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained well
Salt and Pepper to taste
Chopped Chives
Salsa
Sour Cream
 Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 8 x 8 baking dish. In a large bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Add mushrooms, green pepper, cheese and diced tomatoes.Stir to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 45-60 minutes until set and toothpick comes out clean. Garnish with extra cheese, salsa, sour cream and chives. Allow to sit 5 minutes before cutting to serve.






Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: