Everyday Mom's Meals: One Extra Pot
_____

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

One Extra Pot

So, I wish I could "advertise" this as a one pot wonder, but I can't tell a lie. It would be false advertising and I just can't do that. However, it only takes one extra pot, so it's like a very close cousin! That's all. Just one more, and it is barely going to get dirty, so it only half counts. 

I think one of the reason why when searching for recipes we all seem to stop at the ones labeled "one pot" or "one skillet" is because life demands meals be quick, both for cooking time, and clean up. Let's face it, those huge meals taste great and are so satisfying, but the after math? I for one always wish for the dish fairy to show up...and she never does....lazy witch. You know the ones I'm talking about. Where it seems like every single dish/pan/pot/utensil in the kitchen is dirty and piled up in the sink. Even with the added blessing of a dishwasher, the amount of work can seem daunting. So when I can give my family, and all of you, a dish this delicious, and make the promise of only two pans...it's a successful food blogger day. 

This is another way to really stretch the budget when it comes to seafood. If you haven't seen me sing the praises of the frozen options in the stores today, you are now. The 12 oz. bag I used in this recipe cost me about $5, and easily fed our family of three. Oh, and if you're wondering if you have to buy the ones with tail left on per the recipe, it's a personal choice. I like to use them in dishes like this because they shrink less. But if you don't mind that, and don't want to mess with the tails when chowing down, feel free to use tail off. 

Between the garlic and lemon, this is bursting with flavor, and even with the cheese and milk, I think it's still super light. Add a veggie and maybe some bread on the side and supper is on the table in under 30 minutes! And your clean up will be even less than that!

Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Rice Skillet
Inspired by Diethood
2 c. instant white rice
2 c. water
2 chicken bouillon cubes 
6 TBS butter
5 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
12 oz. frozen medium shrimp, tail on, thawed
6 TBS milk
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 TBS dried parsley, extra for garnish
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste 

In a medium pot, bring water and bouillon cubes to boil. Add rice. Stir. Cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Set aside. (These were my directions. Check your box!) In a large skillet, heat butter over low heat. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add shrimp, salt and pepper. Cook and stir, until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes. Move shrimp to sides of pan, add rice. Stir well. Add milk, cheese and parsley. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes more until thickened. Remove from heat. Squeeze lemon over. Sprinkle with extra parsley. 



 


Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: