Everyday Mom's Meals: So Many One Pots
_____

Monday, August 24, 2015

So Many One Pots

One pot meals, or "wonders" as we foodies call them. Can you get enough? I know I can't. Any time a recipe includes those magic words, or I figure out a way I can transform one to include them, I am ecstatic!

I'm pretty sure our schedule is busier and busier every single day. I can't remember the last time I literally had nothing to do. Sure there are times when I don't have to be anywhere, per say; but if it's through the week, I still have to take and retrieve little man from school, and usually to and from Tae kwon do. Seriously, I can not tell you the last time I did not the leave the house for an entire day.

It's funny because when Monkey was a baby there were days on end I wouldn't leave the house and long or just a trip to the post office; and now I look forward to days like that!

With so much going on when I can feed the family and not spend a lot of time doing it, I'm a happy mama. This meal is also perfect for those of you who are trying to eat less carbs. Me? I'm a die hard carb lover, but even I like to lighten it up a bit now and then. Ya'll know Fried Cabbage and Noodles is one of our favorites, but this has swapped out the pasta for protein, and with a boy who is getting ready to head back into TKD tournament season, the lighter the better.

Not only is this a one pot meal, it's a under 30 minute meal. From start to finish, you can be sitting down to dinner in almost no time. I served this with some fresh cantaloupe and crusty rolls on the side and it was a filling, satisfying, and delicious meal.

If your calendar is getting fuller by the minute, take a break when it comes to dinner time and trust your everyday mom to lend a hand!

Cabbage and Beef Skillet
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium head cabbage, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/2 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 TBS cider vinegar
1/2 TBS chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Pinch red pepper flakes
Salt and Pepper taste
Dried Parsley for garnish

In a large skillet, brown beef and onion until no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add cabbage and stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook, until cabbage is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Garnish with parsley. *NOTE* If your tomatoes aren't very juicy like mine, add about 1/4 cup water with cabbage to make boiling possible.






Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: